Youngjun is currently pursuing his PhD at the UCL Interaction Centre (PALS in Faculty of Brain Sciences | Department of Computer Sciences), University College London (UCL) under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Nadia Berthouze (Professor), Dr. Simon Julier (Professor), Dr. Nicolai Marquardt (Associate Professor). He received a MSc in Robotics from KAIST (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) in 2011. Before joining UCLIC in November 2015, he worked as a Senior Research Engineer at the LG Electronics CTO Research Division, Seoul for five years (2011-2015) and was a principal investigator of 4D Touch Project, which has been successfully commercialising a 3D input and gesture recognition technology in collaboration with major automobile manufacturers in the world.
His research interests include designing the principles, techniques, and technologies for the next generation of brain-computer interfaces that extend the interactive space and enhance human perception, and understand affects and psychophysiology. In his PhD research, he has been exploring (and made possible) the use of low cost, mobile, biomedical thermography (1) to extract stress-related physiological signatures in mobile contexts and (2) to automatically monitor a person’s mental stress level. The aim is to develop technology-based intervention to support a person’s psychological needs and wellbeing. [Key technical components: machine learning, signal processing and biomedical imaging]
His work on affective computing, biomedical technology, machine learning, human-computer interaction and haptics has produced more than 50 patent publications (30 Granted) and 10 refereed academic papers.
- Nov. 2015 ~ Present: PhD candidate, UCLIC, Computer Science |Faculty of Brain Sciences, University College London
– he holds UCL Overseas Research Scholarships (UCL-ORS)
- Feb. 2011 ~ Oct. 2015: Senior Research Engineer, PI and Inventor of 4D Touch Project* (2014-2015: funded by LG Vehicle Components Business Division), LG Electronics CTO Research Division (Oct.2015 – Oct. 2018: leave of absence)
- Nov. 2013 ~ Sep. 2015: Idea Consultant, LG Group
- Feb. 2009 ~ Jan. 2011: MSc student, KAIST (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology)
– he held National Science and Engineering Graduate Research Scholarship, KAIST Studentship
- Feb. 2009 ~ Jan. 2011: Research Assistant, KAIST Human-Robot Interaction Research Center
* 4D Touch Project had been promoted to global companies including Google, BMW, Porsche**, Bentley, Volkswagen, Jaguar, Mercedes-benz and so on. Outcomes of the project were exhibited and demonstrated at prestigious venues such as Google-LG Tech Show 2014, CES (Consumer Electronics Show) 2014, 2015.
** One of commercialised products he has contributed to: Porsche Panamera – Proximity Touch for 12.3inch-unit display